Many pet owners don’t have direct access to grooming salons or may find it hard to reach a pet spa. Others often prefer to have a personal hand in grooming their pooches. Just like you are specific about dog food & treats, it’s important to be consistent and careful with grooming as well.
In this post, we are sharing all you need to know for grooming your dog like a pro at home.
- Get your grooming essentials together. Keep in mind that not many dogs are fond of grooming and bathing, although most do like gentle brushing. You don’t want a fidgety dog that’s moving all around the house, as you fetch the brush or shampoo. Make sure to collect all your tools before you begin the grooming process. For basic grooming at home, you will need a hairbrush, shampoo, dry shampoo or coat cleanser, conditioner, towel and probably, clippers. If you intend to give a haircut, get a trimmer specially designed for dogs.
- Start with brushing. You would want your dog to get used to the grooming process, and if you have never done that before, start with brushing. You need to brush your dog’s hair as frequently as possible, preferably at least once each day. This helps in keeping the fur clean. Contrary to what many owners believe, dogs don’t need a lot of bathing so it is necessary to keep them as clean as possible.
- Find the right space. Find an area in the house that’s close to the bathroom, garden or wherever you intend to bathe your dog. This makes it easy to shift the dog right after brushing instead of making them move across the house.
- Decide between shampoo and coat cleanser. A coat cleanser basically cleans the coat, like a dry shampoo, and can be used once a week or more. If you want a simple way of cleaning and grooming your dog, this could be a good pick. For a deeper clean, use shampoo for which you should consider getting a jet spray or pipe so that you can clean easily. Make sure to use a conditioner too.
- Be patient. Dog grooming is not easy, and dogs can sense stress. Don’t allow yourself to get overwhelmed by the process, even if you are doing this for the first time. Also, make sure you have everything at home. Thankfully, it’s super easy now to order dog grooming products and pet food online.
Finally, be careful with clippers and hair trimmers. Don’t go too close to cutting the nails, because it is often hard to predict. There are numerous videos on how to use dog clippers, so do your homework before you begin to avoid any accidents or injuries.